Wednesday 14 December 2016

Christmas Crafts

With daily task lists as long as my arm around this time of year I have always found it helpful to have a collection of activities and crafts that the children can do by themselves. I put through occasional orders with Baker Ross, an online shop dedicated to selling art and craft products, particularly for children. They have great deals on their powder paint and air dry clay if you buy in bulk, and they last ages. So with Christmas preparations gearing up and presents needing to be bought, cakes being baked and cards to be wrote, house to be decorated and carol service performances to be rehearsed, I wanted some crafts to help occupy the children (and stop them from trying to make my Christmas cards for my Clever Little Scraps business). Here are some of my favourites:

Nativity lanterns that we will put battery candles in. They come in packs of 4, Mary with Jesus, Angels, Wise men and shepherds.



Mr Social has been taking some interest in the sewing and knitting that I do, so these cross stitch decorations seemed like a good introduction. My 7 and 6 year old have done these with little supervision whereas my independent 2 year old had to be coaxed into doing an alternative craft.


Cross stitch was a little hard for Mr Smiley (2) to handle but these wooden colouring decorations were perfect. He recognised the characters and happily sat colouring them in. He is an excellent colourer which we discovered recently and is able to stay within the lines remarkably well for his age.

Dotty Art nativity pictures I'm sure will be a hit. These are still in our to do pile, but having done some before I know this will be an independent craft. What kid doesn't like stickers!


In a bid to also kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes I have got these Christmas cards for the children to colour for special family members like their grandparents.

Another decoration craft, but one which I can class as Maths - recurring patterns, addition, multiplication, area...all done with pipe cleaners and beads.


Putting these alongside baking sessions involving gingerbread, peppermint creams, snowmen cupcakes and Christmas wreath pastries, we will be having a fun filled month.

No comments:

Post a Comment