Tuesday 28 April 2015

Sick days

With my new notice board at the ready I was all prepared to be planned out and efficient. We had a number of exciting things lined up ready to brighten up our routine including a day spent with family relatives and a very cute baby nephew. On a Sunday evening I filled in the planner board and listed the tasks and lessons for the week ahead and on the Monday morning I was looking after a sick child that turned into a sick child and a sick mother, which then passed on to another child and then back to the mother. For 2 weeks now I have been dealing with a particularly nasty strain of a stomach virus and Mr Faithful is now suffering with it.

So what does your household look like when your children or Mum and Dad are sick?

1. Books

When energy is low a blanket and a pile of books to look through and read are a comfort to the suffering.

Favourite books at the moment include The BFG by Roald Dahl, Winnie-the-Pooh by A A Milne, Five Children and It by E Nesbitt as well as the vast amount of picture books from the library and our bookshelf, too many to mention.

2. Audio Books

When reading books yourself is too much hard work then audio books provide a welcome relief. My android phone supports an app called Overdrive which allows you to borrow ebooks and audiobooks instantly by downloading them on to your media device and streaming them for instant use. We also have our own small selection including The House at Pooh Corner...a family favourite.

3. Construction Toys

I am not talking about building enormous models but Lego or Meccano keeps little boys happy as simple models can be built without too much moving and Mummy can sit with them and help them out.

4. DVDs

I normally have a restriction on screen time and normally reserve it for tea time when food preparation requires my complete attention and little boys are fractious and tired. However on sick days I lift the restriction and bring down some of our DVDs. Charlotte's Web, Jungle Book, Wallace and Gromit, Cars, and Postman Pat have been the choice DVDs this last week.

5. Sleep

Although I do not often get the chance to get some sleep during the day when ill I do encourage my children to do so, and they don't need much encouragement to sleep when truly ill. Whether it is on the sofa or in their beds I will cover them with a blanket and let them sleep for as long as and as often as they need.

6. Imagination

I have recently started making up my own stories and have enjoyed telling my boys tales of Little Timmy Mouse who goes on lots of adventures and we have enjoyed cuddles whilst making up the next adventure for the little mouse.

7. Love and Cuddles

You can't beat cuddles with mummy. When one of my boys are ill I only do what is necessary in the house and spend as much time as I can loving my poorly child. I often get on top of the house chores when the poorly child is sleeping to give me that time with the children. It makes them feel so special and loved knowing that Mummy and brothers are there to cheer them up.

I hope that we are coming to the end of this sickness so we can get back to our usual activities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment